Wednesday 6 September 2023

The journey so far!

Wow, I cannot believe that my last post was when I was just about to get hired by Tiny Island Productions as a junior animator. And I would stay there for 6 years, till I became Lead Animator, and my next journey begins. On 5th Dec 2022, I got hired by ILM Singapore branch as Mid Animator. That was my dream company. As the Company with the highest level of Animation in Singapore, I was sure my career is bright and stable. As long as I don't get fired, I will eventually retire there. I am already 42 years old. No need to change to another company.

But unfortunately, life is just full of surprises, and anything that can happen in this world might happen here. The week after National Day, on the Aug 15th, the announcement was made to us, ILM Singapore branch will be shutting down by end of the year.  

I still find it hard to believe till this day, that this happened so suddenly. There was no warning. In fact, people were still being hired not long before the announcement. I have only been working in ILM for 1 year by Dec 2023. I was just getting used to the working culture and the pipeline. I've only worked on 3 projects, only working on VFX for a short time. Before this, I was so looking forward to Starwars and Marvel projects in the future. Sigh...

With ILM pulling out, VFX work Singapore is more or less Dead. What's left locally for an Animator at the top level, are only Games studios doing Gameplay animation or Cinematic cut scenes. 

So, moving forward, I need to learn new skills to be able to transit to Game studio. Enter the most highly sought after Game Engine, Unreal Engine! Learning Unreal Engine will give me the exposure to the pipeline of working on Game Animation. As before, I will post lessons learnt, so that I can strengthen my understanding, as well as keeping record for reference in the future. Also this will be easy for anyone to follow along the learning journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment