Friday 2 January 2015

Animation Mentor 001 - Passion Reignited

Animation Mentor is an online school that i am currently studying at. It is based in San Francisco. Not gonna introduce too much about it, all the details are here anyway: Animation Mentor



The main point is, Animation Mentor is actually my dream come true!

Firstly i am married with 2 kids now. Currently working in the Military, non art related. So finance is an issue. And because of high commitment in work, the time left for study in local school is really limited. I have tried short certificate courses but it is really hard to commit to a fixed day of the week and long hours class and additional time spend on travelling to the school. All in all, it is really hard for me to go for classes. No classes = no training = not good enough = no chance in getting into art industry.

Then one day as i was browsing through a local artist website, i stumbled upon a this List that shows multiple local schools and courses that i can apply for up to 70% Grant. One problem solved. Next i realised there is actually one online animation school on the list. And back then in early 2014 there are not many online schools that are available out there which are reliable, or at least not that i know of. Usually most Grants are only for people currently working in the art or media industry, but this one extends to students and freelancers too. After reading through the school website i realised this is PERFECT for me! It is exactly what i was looking for!

Why is the Animation Mentor perfect for me?
- An online school means i can attend it and submit assignments in the comfort of my home or anywhere with an internet connection.
- Lectures are recorded and once weekly, so i can watch it any time of the week that i am free from work.
- Assignments are given 1 week to complete, allowing me to have ample and flexible time.
- Each week there will be an online class chat, google hangout, with the mentor to ask any questions and get supplement lessons.
- And if i have no choice but to miss the online chat due to work, i still have the lectures and the assignments to learn from, so its not end of the world...
- Great reputation and backing from great animators.
- Yes it is expensive, but if i can get 70% grant then it is not anymore.

So i signed up starting Spring 2014 (April 2014). Since then i have finished 3 classes, and learnt tones!! I owe everything to Animation Mentor for my improvement and life changing experience so far. My passion for this art has raised to record high! I am volunteering as Peer Buddy in Animation Mentor to help earlier class students, joined facebook groups and made lots of friends with similar passion, set up facebook group for practicing shots during term break, volunteering in doing a short 5 sec 2D animation for a production trailer, writing a blog to record my experience and lessons learnt, writing resume, doing show reels. I never get to do all this till now!

Soon i will be coming out with my own Demo Reel and start applying for the job of my life. A job i can do as long as my mind and fingers are still working. A job that allows me to constantly improve on. A job which when i am working feels like play and doing what i like and enjoying every step of the way and never get bored! A job that will continually light my passion bright!

Thanks everyone for making this possible for me. Including all the friends who gave precious feedbacks, which propels improvement. Especially greatfull to my lovely wife for having patience and giving me support!

No comments:

Post a Comment